Powered By Blogger

Saturday, May 15, 2010

Allergy to Peanuts Story

After a long day, I came home from soccer practice. On this day, I experienced the worst time in my life, and I was ten years old. It all started on a Saturday night when I went to eat dinner. This event taught me something important: I can never be too careful. I think you should also always be careful, and you’ll learn why.
I was doing some homework when my dad called me downstairs to eat dinner, so down I went into the living room. I started eating and at the same time I talked with my brother. My dad scolded me for eating and talking and he told me not to waste time and to hurry up eating so I could finish my homework. So reluctantly, I stopped talking and continued eating. Almost immediately after, my eyes landed on some food my dad bought from the store. It looked like rice, but at the same time it didn’t, so I decided to taste it. This was my fatal mistake. Instantaneously, my throat swelled up and I had trouble breathing, but the main part was my neck. It had a weird feeling, like it was swelling up and it was annoying me more than it was hurting me. Soon after although, my stomach started hurting and I felt like I was going to throw up and at the same time have the weird feeling in my neck. I knew the culprit was some sort of peanut oil, which then I tried to spit it out, but I failed miserably. I silently cursed George Washington Carver and other peanut product makers for making my enemies, peanuts, so that it could be inserted into various kinds of food. As soon as I found out that there still was peanut oil in my mouth, I ran to the sink. Then I turned on the faucet and desperately tried to wash the oil out, but no matter how hard I tried, I couldn’t get it out. Until my dad came to tell me he had some medicine for me, I didn’t know what to do. After he gave me the medicine, some weird pill, I got a glass of water and then drank the water with the pill. Even after this I still didn’t feel good, so my dad told me to eat some more food, because it would help my body. I tried to eat, but I must have lost my appetite, because instead of eating, I did the opposite. While I was trying to eat something, I felt something come up. I knew immediately that I was going to vomit, so I ran to the nearest “deposit” area, if you get what I am saying. The nearest deposit area was through the backdoors and into the backyard. And because this all happened at night, it was almost pitch black outside, but still I ran outside and threw up, Actually I didn’t really go outside at all. I just ran to the doorway and leaned forward, so that only my head was outside. After this, my dad told me to go upstairs and watch television to try to make me feel better. The only T.V. in my house that worked was in my parents’ room, so I went to my parents’ room and found my mom lying in bed watching T.V. as usual. Basically, my mom and I were fighting over which channel to watch. She wanted to watch this Chinese program that I had no idea was about, and I wanted to watch cartoons. Our argument continued until my dad came and broke up the fight. I guess it was easy for him, because I could barely talk and my mom had a sore throat, and he was perfectly fine. He made us both watch Law and Order, which I am O.K. with, and so is my mom, but I still would have preferred to watch cartoons. But anyways, I guess my dad fixed the problem. While I was watching the show, I sat in a chair with a towel wrapped around me. Every once and a while, I had to stand up and run to the toilet, because I had to throw up, but every time it was a false alarm. My stomach hurt like someone kicked me in the stomach and my throat was swelled up badly so I could barely whisper. My breathing was restricted, because whenever I start breathing too fast, my chest would hurt. This continued until somewhere around 12:00, I fell asleep. I thanked God for letting me finally fall asleep, and the next day I felt fine.
Now you know why you can never be too careful. If I was more careful, I would have never eaten the peanut oil, so then I would have never had to go through this terrible experience. Today I think that I was foolish to let my guard down. All in all, I learned that I should always be careful about my allergy, but I am failing to be careful. I had two recent allergic reactions, all do to careless errors. L

No comments: